Spring is an important time for your lawn and yard, as the soil is spongy, plants are fragile and unpredictable weather can disrupt plans for your yard. However, you can take steps to ensure your lawn looks beautiful and lush throughout the rest of spring and into the summer.
Caring and Treating Your Lawn During the Spring
Treating and taking care of your grass properly depends on what kind of grass it is. There are two types:
- Cool-Season Grasses – Have two growth spurts in fall and spring but go dormant during the hottest summer months. These grasses should be strengthened before the hot months arrive.
- Warm-Season Grasses – These grasses thrive in the heat and go dormant when winter arrives. They begin growing as soon as the last spring frost dissipates.
- St. Augustine
Try to avoid yard work in spring until the soil is properly dried out to avoid destroying grass shoots when raking or tending to the soil. When mornings are warmer, thoroughly clean your yard to encourage grass growth and eradicate pests. Remove excess debris like leaves and gently rake the yard to cultivate, separate and fluff up grass shoots.
Prevent weeds from germinating by applying pre-emergent weed control. Cool and warm-season lawns both benefit from it. Pre-emergent weed control only lasts three months, so plan on a second application at some point during the summer.
The type of grass you have can influence when and how you should fertilize your lawn.
- Cool-Season Grasses – Experts advise not to fertilize these type of grasses in the spring. Fertilize lightly with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer and save heavier feedings for fall.
- Warm-Season Grasses – Fertilize in late spring as the lawn begins to green and grow. This period of time is generally in April or May after the last frost dissipates.
Make sure to perform the following to ensure other factors don’t disrupt your lawn’s health and growth:
- Insect control
Have Your Lawn Properly Treated with River City Landscaping
Managing your lawn can be a difficult task but it doesn’t have to be. River City Landscaping in Baton Rouge, Louisiana can help you get your lawn ready for spring and summer with our professional, licensed and insured landscape services. Our services include:
- Landscaping installation
- Drainage system installation
- Drainage systems for homes
- Landscape irrigation systems
- Irrigation system installation
- Sod delivery/installation
- Landscape lighting
- Seasonal coloring
- Mulch changes
- Landscape maintenance
- Residential and commercial services available
We believe in creating a unique plan for each and every client to address their specific needs. From drainage solutions to professional landscape lighting and everything in between – we treat each client with individual care. No matter what your project may be, our professional staff will always take the time to develop a mutually beneficial relationship that is based upon your individualized requirements and preferences.
Contact River City Landscaping today so we can help you grow a lush, green lawn for spring and summer.